Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Swifts and swallows

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The local East Lancaster population of swifts appears to be approaching full strength with occasional gatherings of up to 40+ birds screaming over Freehold/East Road /Ridge Lane area. This breaks up to each colony later then the non breeders aggregate over the area after sunset and disappear up as a group. Tonight will be worth staying out for. Eastern Freehold has at least 4 nests going by activity. I don’t know about West Freehold but there must be 3 or 4. There are at least 2 nests on Green St and Ridge Lane.

Unlocked the machine shed at Torrisholme CC this morning to find four equally sized very healthy looking juv swallows just fledged and flying around. In spite of the 8′ roller door open they have not ventured outside. They are being regularly fed by both parents. Interestingly the parents put every effort into mobbing any magpie within 75 yards of the shed but ignore crows or gulls. The local carrion crow nest has also recently fledged with 3 youths. They spend the day walking the field for chafer grubs and leatherjackets which suits me fine…

eddybayton
      Participant

I thought it was four swallows fledged but I was wrong. It was five!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.