Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Freehold swifts and elsewhere….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Still a maximum count of 21 birds between 8.45 and 9.10pm last night, the 8th although they took a while to assemble and circle together.

A report from a very reliable observer of another gathering last night around 9pm over the Vale area of Lancaster. He described a circling group given away ‘by the noise they were making’ very high and ‘there must have been a couple of hundred or more of them…I’ve never seen anything like it before…I even called my wife out to see the spectacle’ . He knows his stuff and is NOT prone to exaggeration. It was a very clear and red sunset and in early August this is when the big gatherings take place. Worth looking again tonight??

eddybayton
      Participant

In contrast tonight in Freehold. Just six birds screaming briefly around 8.35pm and very high up, 1000 feet or more and dispersed in 5 minutes. Nothing since at any level and certainly nothing at rooftop height. The bats emerged around 9.10pm and since then only the odd gull over heading for the shore. Pretty confident the local swift season is over though we may have passers by.

eddybayton
        Participant

Just 2 swifts over the city centre for a few minutes very high at 8.50 pm . Nothing over Freehold.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.