Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Whimbrel – Quernmore

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

26 Whimbrel in a field by Little Fell Road Quernmore (SD 508 606) at 1.40 pm, with 27 Whimbrel in the same field at 4.40 pm. Also: 2 Wheatear and 4 Brown Hare.

Pete C

Dan Haywood
      Participant

Hi Rosie, Pete’s WM field is FLL parcel BQ6. Marked as LDBWS FLL (functionally linked land) because of Whimbrel, Curlew, Lapwing and Oystercatcher etc. usage.

There were also 24 Whimbrel and two Stonechat at BQ2 (Blea Tarn!) this evening– thanks I. Hartley.

My map attached– surely other fields and parcels up there with similar interest so six-figure grid refs very useful. Thanks Pete.

Attachments:
        eddybayton
        Participant

Same time, same places, similar numbers as previous years. Interesting. A farmer local to the Damas Gill Reservoir told me several years ago that the fields around the water are used as a roost whilst the birds are passing though and have been for many years.

Pete Crooks
          Participant

41 Whimbrel in the same field (SD 508 606) at 4.40 pm this afternoon.

Pete C

Pete Crooks
            Participant

A total of 57 Whimbrel – 53 in the usual field (SD 508 606) and 4 in a field across the road (SD 506 604) at 1.50 pm.

Pete C

Pete Crooks
              Participant

A total of 56 Whimbrel today – 16 in the usual field (SD 508 606), 36 circling then landing in a field by Littledale Road, Stock-a-bank and 4 in another field by Little Fell Road (SD 507 602) at 1.30 pm.

Pete C

Luke
                Participant

50 Whimbrel in same field today.

L

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.