Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Whimbrel – Quernmore

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

4 Whimbrel in the usual stop-over field by Little Fell Road, Quernmore (SD 508 607) at 4.50 pm.
      Also 9 Wheatear in the same field.

Pete C

Brom
      Participant

2 Whimbrel in the next field along, this afternoon at 4pm

Attachments:
        EddieW
        Participant

Hi which field are they in please had a look this morning but could not see any whimbrel thank you.

Brom
          Participant

I tried to reply, but apparently failed – no idea why!
            Travelling from the top road from Caton, turn off left down low Fell Lane; just after the junction with Stock-a-Beck lane, (coming up from the left), it was the next field on the left.
            Not easy to pick out – I missed them, but another birder kindly pointed one out to me among the sheep. The other was hidden in the short grass.

Pete Crooks
            Participant

Hi Eddie,

What I’ve termed ‘the usual stop-over field’ is on the east side of Little Fell Road, south of its junction with Littledale Road (which is also known as Stock-a-Bank). In my experience Whimbrel tend to favour the large second field south of Littledale Road (SD 508 607). It is best viewed from looking down from Little Fell Road, but take care as this road can be busy with passing traffic. Whimbrel many be present at any time of day, but they will disperse to feed in the improved pasture fields across the whole of the Quernmore area. I’ve found late afternoon is a good time for them at this site, though you may need to view the field from a couple of different positions along Little Fell Road as there are several deceptive bumps and hollows that can hide roosting birds. The good news is that the Whimbrel passage tends to peak during the last week of April – so still plenty of time for seeing them.

Pete Crooks

Pete Crooks
              Participant

Hi Brom,

I think I was that other birder!

Pete C

Clay G
                Participant

12 in the larger field as I type this message, although they started in the smaller one that borders Stock-a-Bank.

EddieW
                  Participant

Thank you Pete and glen I will keep an eye out for them as travel that way to work. Really appreciate the information. Again thank you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.