Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Pintail and lockdown patch late morning

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We strayed out of our usual lockdown area (SD46 M) yesterday (13th) into Teal Bay where we found 33+ pintail. I don’t think I have ever recorded such a large number there before, but perhaps other local recorders will correct that.
      Between Teal Bay and Bare there were also at least 61 wigeon, 12 eider, 9 black-tailed godwit and 1 bar-tailed godwit.
      I didn’t count waders but we are now regularly getting good numbers of ringed plover (33 on 2/2) turnstone (42 on 2/2) knot (47 on 2/2) and dunlin.
      Happy Mount Park has produced 31 species so far this month including goldcrest, treecreeper, jay. Because of the state of the ponds (either flooded early on or frozen) no mallards this month yet. Blackbird numbers rising again – currently about 14. Roost has included 16 greenfinches (4/2) but I have not been late enough to watch usually.
      Work re-laying footpaths in the park has caused some disturbance this last week. The number of people coming in with food has soared and the Japanese Garden in particular is a centre for this – largely aimed at feeding the grey squirrels, sadly, but with a spin-off for the birds.

Jeff Butcher

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.