Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Pied Billed Grebe.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

1 on Bantons Lake, DolphinHolme this morning, as reported on Birdguides. Present for 2nd Day

Lishers
      Participant

Summer plumaged bird showing nicely but mobile at 13.30

Lishers
        Participant

Whilst I admit its not the prize it used to be, has this bird fallen off the grid, before it’s hardly had chance to get on it.
          Has Covid restrictions resulted in this bird being off limits as it doesn’t seem to being reported (I informed Birdguides as still present at half one this afternoon but wasn’t put out) or even discussed.

It showed quite well after lunch to the left of the island (viewed from fence running parallel with footpath/River) but was quite mobile and did quite a tour for the hour I was there. The bird seems to be almost in full summer, give or take a little tidying up.

Lishers

Steve Graham
          Participant

Hi My take on local birding whether rarities or not is that we are currently in a full national lockdown and as such no one should be travelling to see birds full stop.

Now I except a lone birder in a car is not likely to be spreading or contracting the virus but we should be following the spirit as well as the law at the moment.

So in the case of this bird unless you live within walking distance or a ‘very short’ drive away it is off limits in my opinion. Sensibly, Birdguides current policy is not to be putting out rarities during lockdown.

On a personal level the only places I have been birding in 2021 are local walks around Halton and walks up to our building plot and meadow in Brookhouse. I also appreciate not everyone has nice bird rich walking on their doorsteps so short distance travel is permitted for exercise with or without binoculars!

I have probably opened a can of worms here?! Perhaps LDBWS needs to make a statement on what it expects of members during lockdowns in terms of birding trips? Or do we leave it to individuals common sense.

Regards
            Steve

Petalancaster
            Participant

Entirely agree with your sentiment, Steve.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.