Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Pectoral sandpiper

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Pectoral sandpiper at the Allen Pools yesterday (Tues) eve.
      Earlier, 6 spotted redshank & 12 greenshank (inc leucistic bird) were present, along with 1 spoonbill.

joncarter
      Participant

Present again mid-morning (Weds)

joncarter
        Participant

Reported on and off today but some sightings are known to have referred to a ruff…

jeffbutcher
          Participant

We were in the Morecambe hide about 10 a.m. today. One of the photographers saw something land on the mud where lapwing were standing and asked if it was a dunlin, but then quickly found it and said ruff. When I found it and was trying to get a photo, I suddenly realised how small it was against the lapwing and greenshank. While I was puzzling on this, the photographer had got a good shot and realised it was a pectoral sandpiper. I don’t think any of us knew one had been seen the day before. There was a disturbance and everything moved but the pec remained with the lapwings. About 10.20 the pec suddenly took off and flew directly towards Griesdale hide.

Also seen: 8 greenshank (1 leucistic), 1 great white egret on flood, 1 kestrel (juv) 4+ wheatears, 1 stonechat, 2 black-tailed godwit, 2 spotted redshank.
            Has anyone managed a count of Cetti’s warblers between the car park and Allen hide?

Jeff B

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.