Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Hawfinch

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Sizergh Castle – 13 Hawfinch feeding together on the ground in the car park opposite the cafe at 7.30 – 7.45 am, but nervous and flighty, retreating to the surrounding trees if disturbed. If you visit this site, go early and park just inside the entrance to the car park, then walk to view from by the cafe. If you drive around the car park to the area by cafe where the birds were viewed from you end up driving through the area they feed in when they drop to the ground. Presumably it would be a waste of time going later in the day as general visitors to the National Trust property will be arriving and park in the area where the birds were feeding.

Pine Lake – 10 Sand Martin

Eric Morecambe Pools (From Crag Road viewpoint) – 875 Pink-footed Geese near the Black Barn, south of Barrow Scout
      13 Avocet – 9 on the Flood, 4 on Eric Morecambe Pool South
      1 Great White Egret

Pete C

Clay G
      Participant

FYI I was there from 8:30-9 yesterday and the hawfinches were still showing well in the trees, though only one bird was on the ground (and only briefly). But it’s not a total write-off if you can’t make it as early as half 7.

Steve Graham
        Participant

Re: Visiting later for Hawfinch. I was there early morning a couple of years ago and had good views. I then walked to the new wetland area and back and by this time it was approaching 11am. I was quite amazed to pick up two birds in the hedge/shelter belt behind the feeding area. The car park was pretty full and noisy at that point! Regards Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.