Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Happy Mount Park

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The female blackcap continues to frequent the hedge between the Woodland Walk and the Orchard, where long-tailed tits are building a nest this morning. The moorhen pair are exploring high up in a tree where, last year, they appeared to build a nest but not to produce any young. There is a high magpie/crow/jay population so I guess predation is likely. A good range of finches is present – goldfinch, chaffinch, greenfinch and bullfinch – along with 16 blackbirds, 9 robins, song thrush and mistle thrush. Treecreeper, goldcrest and the tits – coal, blue, great and long-tailed – are all present but I have not seen or heard nuthatch since October although there have been a few reports (last year I recorded them from July to October only).
      Yesterday I had a pair of great spotted woodpeckers in the Park, but they flew off in the direction of a clump of trees on the golf course.

On the sea on the rising tide there were 22 eider and 8 wigeon, but a noticeable decline in numbers of small waders.

Jeff B

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.