Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Freehold waxwings

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

At leastb 6 birds with starlings, top of vtall trees on S side of the gardens between Windermere and Derwent Roads, viewable from near the top of Rydal Road right now, 09.46am. I put some half apples out but don’t know of any rowan locally…there is a tree by the Post Office on Ullswater Road waxwings have used in the past, a service tree I think.

Alasdair
      Participant

17 Waxwings in Sycamore on N side of Rydal Road at 15.15 just E of Grasmere Road. Had been feeding in White Rowan on Rydal.

Pete Crooks
        Participant

Up to 9 Waxwing and 1 female Blackcap visiting the white berry rowan opposite the front of 50 Rydal Road early afternoon. (The rowan tree is at the bottom of the garden of 90 Windermere Road.)

Pete C

eddybayton
          Participant

Excellent. A flight of 16 birds flew overhead going East towards the Park or the Cemetery near sunset yesterday. I saw nothing today as was away early and back at dusk but nice to know they are still around…. As far as I’m aware all the rowan in the Cathedral area, Storeys, Ridge Lane etc and the Edward Street car parks has already been stripped. If there is a big influx of waxwing because of the Scandinavian weather (which is quite brutal at the moment), the Ridge estate is well planted with service trees which are all well fruited and have been secondary sources for waxwings in late winter before. Well worth checking these if this flock disappears from Freehold.

Clio Graham
            Participant

19 Waxwings on same white-berried tree on Rydal Road, Freehold, around 2 pm and flying across to tall tree nearby. Great views in the sun. A couple of images attached.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.