Home Forums Discussions Fickle Tree Sparrows?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi

After 5 pairs successfully bred last year not had a single sighting this year so far!

The only thing that has changed is the site is a lot tidier than it was following our building work.

House Sparrows still seem happy enough and are breeding in a Sparrow terrace but fewer pairs than last year.

I know Tree Sparrow colonies can breakup for no apparent reason but that is usually after a few years at one site!

I did find a sick adult Tree Sparrow in one of my unused nest boxes last summer.

I am just wondering if bird flu could be a factor?

The next closest breeding site I am aware of near Brookhouse also seems to have been deserted this year too.

Be interesting to know if anyone with breeding Tree Sparrows either in their gardens or nearby is having a ‘normal’ season with them or noticing changes in behaviour this year.

Any thoughts/suggestions on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Graham

Dave Hawkins
      Participant

We’ve lived up here for just over 4 years and this last winter we had virtually no Tree Sparrow to our feeders. Previous winters daily visits by up to half a dozen birds. We’ve not seen or heard as many on walks either.
        Most astonishingly of all we only 2 brief visits by Great Spots last winter.

Steve Graham
        Participant

Hi Dave

Thanks for that.

Both in the winter of 2021 & 2022 the Tree Sparrows completely disappeared but in spring 2022 returned in late Feb. I suspect they moved to coastal stubble fields even though I feed year round.

It will be interesting to see if any post breeding birds turn up in the summer.

Regards
          Steve

Gar
          Participant

We’ve had Tree Sparrows visiting our feeders in Milnthorpe regularly over the past few years, with breeding success last year. Two pairs have been here this year. Keeping an eye on them and will see what transpires this year.

Steve Graham
            Participant

Hi Gar

Appreciate the feedback.

Regards
              Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.