Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Canalside Cetti’s

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Mr. Atkins still singing (since spring 2020!) along the ‘Atkliffe’ stretch of canal Between Haverbreaks and Ashton Rd bridge– seeming to favour the scrubby / reedy Lunecliffe corner (A23) SD470594 towards the water works which has lots of good nesting habitat.

You can tell it’s the same male and not its recent rival because of its atypical / variant song– which is more Nightingale / Thrush Nightingale-like.

Oystercatcher nesting in field (A21).

Three broods of recently fledged Tree Sparrows with five adults along this stretch centred around SD470597.

Seem to be better numbers of Swallows feeding here this spring (now 12+), and single Common Terns fishing here in recent afternoons.

andrewmccafferty
      Keymaster

You can tell it’s the same male and not its recent rival because of its atypical / variant song– which is more Nightingale / Thrush Nightingale-like.

This must be why the Spanish name for Cetti’s warbler is “bastard nightingale”

Alasdair Taylor
        Participant

I heard another “Atkins’ bastard nightingale” along the Glasson branch of the canal Wednesday evening.

Dan Haywood
          Participant

Si, there’s a pair nesting near Glasson (for the first time).

guymcclelland
            Participant

I have a couple of recordings but am struggling to upload them.

andrewmccafferty
              Keymaster

Guy, I can help with that! Probably the best place to put them would be xeno-canto, but if you struggle to register or whatever, I can upload them there for you, if you email them to me [email protected].

andrewmccafferty
                Keymaster

I’ve been down to listen to Mr Atkins now, this is the best I could get, because he kept moving around, and I only had my phone!

https://www.xeno-canto.org/652652

Dan Haywood
                  Participant

How big were the sound files Guy? The webmaster told me he’d increased attachment limit to 12Mb but I’m struggling too (trying attach a 4.7Mb JPEG).

andrewmccafferty
                    Keymaster

Just testing something. I suspect the forum just doesn’t support non-image file types, but let’s see…
                      EDIT: nope, seems fine. Maybe what Guy was uploading was a bit bigger (maybe WAV format, which is uncompressed and so a bigger file, and maybe a bit of a long clip?)

Attachments:
                      guymcclelland
                      Participant

I have edited down the size of the video, hopefully this will work.

Dan Haywood
                        Participant

Nice.

guymcclelland
                          Participant

There are 2, but possibly 3 Cetti’s on this stretch. The original Mr. Atkins was calling in the thicket close to where the footpath from Ashton Rd. meets the towpath. There was another Mr. Atkins singing on the opposite side of the canal opposite to the moored boats, 200m north. A third bird was heard calling about 70m north of Mr. Atkins. This was either Mr. Atkins or a third bird.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.