Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Birding lockdown garden

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I dragged myself from watching the Shrimps v Chelsea on TV to make a cuppa and saw a fair bit of activity on the feeders.

My now, almost daily,Blackcap was present along with a Goldcrest on the feeder (unusual) and a stonking male Bullfinch. Supporting cast of Song Thrush, Blackbird, Blue & Coal Tits meant I missed the third goal!

Dan Haywood
      Participant

I’ve never seen a Goldcrest at a feeder before.

Male Blackcap in a garden near Westbourne Rd yesterday–coming to suet.

David Talbot
        Participant

Indeed Dan,I don’t think I’ve had a Goldcrest on the feeders before, despite seeing them regularly in some Yews that border our garden. Today the bird was at the fat balls, on the feeder itself and on the seed tray….it was clearly determined.

Steve Graham
          Participant

Hi David I have had a few instances of Goldcrest on my feeders over the years. I think they are gleaning whatever insect there is around the food rather than actually eating peanuts etc. being insectivorous. I have seen the same with Treecreepers doing the same in the depths of winter.

Cheers
            Steve

David Talbot
            Participant

Interesting point Steve, I’ll look more closely if I get it back again.

male Blackcap back again and a record (for my garden) of 9 LT Tits at one time on seeds and adjacent fat balls.

Another Blackcap, female in garden on Stankelt Rd, Silverdale today.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.