Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Aldcliffe / Stodday

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

An influx of Willow Warblers overnight with one at Freeman’s Wood and four together at Stodday Sewage Works plantation this morning.

Lots of Chiffchaffs too (one pictured below) with 19 heard singing along mixed use path between the two points above.

Visible migration light but steady with 20 each of Meadow Pipits per hour and Sand Martin also small numbers of Siskin, redpoll sp, Goldfinch and Linnet northbound. The call of a flava wagtail caught me off guard but there it was– I caught the yellowy back end of a ‘yellow wagtail’ flying NE over my head. A very early date.

Two Scandinavian Rock Pipits in breeding plumage at Stodday Marsh over the spring tide (also a Wheatear there). I narrowly missed the Water Pipit Pete Crooks et al were admiring in the flotsam zone by Walled Meadow (Aldcliffe Marsh S) but pipit club admired a beautifully coloured* Meadow Pipit that had us scratching our heads for a while.

(* deep yellow-buff underparts from throat to vent, bright ‘Dunnock brown’ back, dark brown head with grey-blue cast, all dark bill)

Two White Wagtails by The Flood (A14).

Barrie Cooper
      Participant

…and here is a photo of the pipit that Dan refers to.

Attachments:
      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.