Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Whatsapp roundup 7/4/2024 Reply To: Whatsapp roundup 7/4/2024

eddybayton
Participant

Aside from that, complete respect for the time and effort you put into this Tech stuff Andrew. Thank you. Forty years ago I could write ZX81 programmes onto a cassette tape. These days I have lost the will to live with the rate of change of platforms. In a work based groundcare forum recently, some of the contributions coming from a score of the finest groundstaff in the country (Wimbledon, Wembley, Lord’s, St Andrews etc) … for free to their colleagues… was wiped out overnight. Tens of thousands of gems of help. The 25 year archive of advice and guidance on a web forum was deleted because those in control, a couple of webmasters in their mid twenties felt it was no longer that important. I could have wept. Published on paper it would have been in several volumes and the seminal paper on groundcare in the UK.

We have to be very careful about the recording, retention and publication of data to avoid this issue or we will enter into a dark age. The excellent publication “The Birds of Lancaster and District 202x” that drops on my doormat, compiled and edited by so many hard working and experienced experts is a vital cog in this system.

Just saying. Eddy