Home Forums Bird & Insect Sightings Possible tristis or abietinus Chiffchaff

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Possible tristis or abietinus Chiffchaff in my Lancaster garden today. Flew into a neighbour’s garden when I first attempted to photograph it and I think I heard it give a tristis call, so played a recording from my phone and it immediately flew back into my garden allowing for the attached photos. However, while in my garden, I then played the call of Common Chiffchaff and it also reacted to that. As I didn’t actually see it give the tristis-type call, I can’t be 100% certain. There are few trees and bushes in other gardens near me and I suspect mine is the only one with a pond, so there’s little to prolong it’s stay after it departs my oasis. I may well have seen this bird in my garden on 20 December and had a typical-looking Common Chiffchaff on 10 February.

Meanwhile, approximately 1400 Pink-footed Geese on Aldcliffe Marsh this afternoon and the Short-eared Owl showing well at Conder Pool.

Luke
      Participant

That’s really interesting Barrie, I had a very similar bird near my garden back home in Durham in autumn 2020. It gave several rather ‘straight’ calls but since I’ve never seen/heard tristis-type chiffchaffs before, I could never be 100% sure. I’m aware there’s considerable numbers wintering in the UK now, but I’m not sure what (if anything) clinches the ID. Anyone know?

Barrie Cooper
        Participant
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.