Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Freeman's Wood

Posted by petecook 
Freeman's Wood
April 08, 2017 06:57AM
As the current LDBWS secretary, a birding enthusiast and a former planning officer by profession, I feel I should contribute to the discussion, in the Sightings section below, by reminding members that a similar occurrence took place in 2012 when Freeman's Wood was threatened by similar proposals.

I then put forward the following resolution to the AGM in February 2013 which was agreed by the members present at the meeting

"LDBWS committee should submit comments on proposals, put forward in policies and land allocations in the Lancaster Local Plan or in planning applications for development, where these are likely to have a demonstrable and significant adverse effect on local birdlife habitats and where clear, well researched factual evidence can be provided."

If LDBWS is to make representations on any forthcoming planning application affecting Freeman's Wood and the surrounding area it is essential that the kind of evidence referred to above is made available to the committee.

The committee, therefore, would need to rely on those members who regularly visit the Freeman's Wood/Aldcliffe area for the provision of such evidence. Moreover, those people with the greatest knowledge of the area should be prepared to follow up their involvement by presenting it at any forthcoming Public Inquiry if the application is refused by the Planning Committee and the decision is subject to appeal.

Personally, I feel that the latter scenario is likely to arise since the planning authority have not allocated Freeman's Wood for development in the emerging Lancaster Local Plan and must be confident that the areas they have allocated for development are sufficient to cater for projected needs over the plan period. They should, therefore, be inclined to refuse an application on the site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2017 07:05AM by petecook.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter