Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Birk Bank Bog - 12/7

Posted by Steve Graham 
Birk Bank Bog - 12/7
July 12, 2019 09:33PM
Had a very productive hour up at Birk Bank this afternoon. Conditions not ideal for Dragons as it was a bit breezy and cloudy unlike at home but still around 20C.

Got fantastic footage of a female Golden-ringed ovipositing down to 5 feet. There was a Broad-bodied Chaser female egg laying as well. Also got some record shots of a male Keeled Skimmer.

Also 2+ Green Woodpecker about, one had a shorter, slightly different call so probably a juv in a family party.

Just before I left heard a high pitched raptor call probably Kestrel but wouldn't rule out Hobby. Habitat west of the bog looks ideal for them.

Very pleased to have a male Banded Demoiselle in the garden today. On my return home had my first Purple Hairstreak of the year. Keep looking for WLH at home but still no success.

Cheers
Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter