Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

LilIan's Hide closure

Posted by j carter 
LilIan's Hide closure
September 07, 2017 06:23PM
Lilian's Hide at Leighton Moss will be closed to the public for a week from Monday 11th Sept. This is to carry out essential upgrades to the hide.

Note: it'll make things much better and as long as the purple heron (or anything else likely to cause a stir) doesn't decide to relocate right in front of it, it shouldn't cause too much concern...
Re: LilIan's Hide closure
September 07, 2017 07:14PM
Put in some parking meters for photographers staying longer than two hours
September 08, 2017 11:56AM
Sick to death of folk going on about photographers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 11:56AM by Dave B.
September 08, 2017 12:04PM
Some constructive solutions in place at some reserves involving separate photographic hides. I appreciate that it can and did take some people 6.5 hours to get the perfect purple heron shots but seats were often at a premium due to these long stayers. Interesting and thoughtful piece at the front of the latest British Birds magazine
September 08, 2017 12:09PM
A lot of problems have come with the advent of the digital camera, people are going out buying all the latest kit and calling themselves photographers with no idea about the countryside or behaviour. they give the genuine ones a bad name. You never saw them whilst there was only film cameras, you had to use a lot of field craft to get a shot, no super lenses then !

To be honest I think thought is needed on all sides. Give everyone a fair crack of the whip, but unfortunately there are folk who just dont think.

Thats one of the reasons I rarely go in hides,unless its very early in the morning before the chattering masses arrive, much preferring to be out on my own. Its far more fun and I get (if lucky) that good shot even if it isnt a citrine wagtail !!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 12:19PM by Dave B.
October 07, 2017 11:23PM
Reliably informed that some photographers were very good at giving up their seats - they climbed on to the roof of the hide instead. Good move!
October 08, 2017 10:31AM
Here we go again another swipe at photographers. its becoming boring.

I know there are some photographers who dont give a damn, there are also telescope wielders who dont care a fig about noise, clutter up the hides with their tripods. et,etc What I am saying there are good and bad on all sides.

Please, please can we stop the regular side swipes at photographers because as I said it is becoming repetetive and boring.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 07:34PM by Dave B.
October 08, 2017 11:43PM
It was a statement of fact Dave - not an opinion/swipe - witnessed by several people! However since you have brought up the subject:

I think the birding community has actually done a pretty good job over the years reining in/self-regulating the unacceptable behaviour (over the years since I started in the late 1960s) - obviously there are exceptions but they are few and far between in relation to the number of observers. The exception is inappropriate tape luring which has been well-aired in the birding press/social media and doesn't need me to repeat it here

There is definitely, however, a lot of work to be done within the 'snapping' community to teach each other about fieldcraft and perhaps especially listen to advice from proximate experienced birders about fieldcraft. This is simply because the digital revolution has suddenly produced this heaving mass of people who want to take perfect pics of all kinds of wildlife. However in terms of fieldcraft, a large number are complete beginners and I'm sure would welcome advice, but I've yet to see an equivalent of eg the Birdwatchers Code of Conduct. Is there one?
October 09, 2017 09:12AM
I take your point Pete. Tape luring is a definite no, no.

I've been a "birder" for over 50 years, I learnt my craft from an Uncle who was a wildfowler so I do agree with a lot of what you have said.

As said earlier and as you say there are a lot of overnight experts because of digital. My early forays were with a Brownie 127 !!! so I learnt fieldcraft.

I think I might just write a code of conduct for "photographers"

To be honest as I have got older I have moved away from the hides and gone off on my own. If I do go in the hides its usually before "joe public" gets there. In fact I'll be going to leighton next week to see if the rut is on, but I will be long gone when the masses arrive.

Incidentally my son was at Fluke hall on Sunday evening and said he saw a great evening flight and he was the only one there!

take care, hope to meet up sometime and if its in a hide I'll make room !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 09:12AM by Dave B.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter