Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Repairs to Plover Scar Lighthouse

Posted by kharrison 
Repairs to Plover Scar Lighthouse
October 03, 2016 07:15PM
Notices in Glasson Dock say that Slack Lane, the road to Lighthouse Cottage at Cockerham, is closed to general traffic until further notice. This is to allow contractors traffic to access the small car park as they repair Plover Scar Lighthouse.

[www.lancasterport.org]

Following the damage caused by a vessel collision earlier this year, repairs are now underway. The contractors, MPM North West Ltd from Maryport, started on site on 5th September and have begun erecting scaffolding around the structure. They are working during low water periods, vacating the site as the flood tide rises.

Scaffolding is now partially erected, designed to withstand the tidal conditions and fixed to the lower, undamaged section of the lighthouse. Once complete,the scaffolding will be further braced with guy cables fixed to the seabed, and marked by buoys.
Re: Repairs to Plover Scar Lighthouse
October 06, 2016 10:00AM
Be nice if they'd repair the access to the car park - it was hugely rutted the last time I tried to get in by the lighthouse cottage.

Jeff
October 08, 2016 07:22PM
Hi Jeff
I can't agree with your comment. Before the access track became badly rutted it was used by a number of people who abused the access to disturb the foreshore. Since the track has become more difficult I have noticed less people there. Presumably they take their cars and disturbance elsewhere leaving the spot more open to birders who will probably make more effort to get there than the average Joe. There are places to park a car within a couple of hundred yards. It's pity that Plover Scar is accessible from the other direction as the people from the caravan parks are the main transgressors in disturbing the birds.
Phil
October 10, 2016 08:52PM
Access to what car park? A private road to a bit of ground where it is possible to park and turn round. The owner did try a voluntary parking donation box many years ago but it didn't get many takers and was I think damaged then abandoned
October 11, 2016 03:46PM
Yes we always paid the 20p and happy to do so as I hoped the money would be used to keep the access open. Sorry to see that stopped.
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter