Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Photography and Heysham

Posted by pete marsh 
Photography and Heysham
October 03, 2016 06:28PM
It has come to my attention that some bird photographers do not like being questioned by the police at Heysham. TOUGH! The simple answer is stay away. The whole area is on high security alert and we are lucky that they allow any photography in the area so please lighten up and cooperate if you are in that area as many regular photographers do

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 06:30PM by pete marsh.
Re: Photography and Heysham
October 06, 2016 09:58AM
Just find it amusing that they seem to think a 70+ year old white male carrying telescope, binoculars fits the profile of your average urban terrorist. So it's not just photographers, it's birders. They don't seem to question holiday makers from the caravan park walking the wall and taking photos.

For a while they used to keep a database of car registrations of us regulars in the area so they could spot unusual visitors and not pester regulars, but they gave up on that at least 4 years ago. Their activity varies according to the threat - including the threat to their jobs - there has been talk of restricting Nuclear Police as currently they have jurisdiction up to 5 km from the site.
Jeff
October 06, 2016 09:56PM
I do think some of Jeff comments are a little derogatory. The CNC patrols around the area are there to help protect a major nuclear installation and we should be thankful that they do so.

An occasional questioning is no great imposition and we should be happy that we are allowed access all round the harbour and power station perimeters.

Alan Draper
October 08, 2016 01:12PM
I agree with Alan the remark are a bit silly.
When I served with RAF through the 70s.
We found that terrorist came in all ages
and disguises and a camera is the best
way to get information. I could say more but
it's hoped that people act sensible and be
patient.

Jeff
October 10, 2016 08:48PM
Jeff Butchers second paragraph is simply not the case but I'm not going into procedural stuff suffice to say you are on camera just about everywhere if you are thinking of a quiet pee in the corner!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter