Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Help with visitor

Posted by vpd 
vpd
Help with visitor
July 29, 2016 03:32AM
Hello,

my name is Victor Debattista, I'm an astronomer at the University of Central Lancashire. This is a bit of an unusual request.

One of my colleagues, John Kormendy, a noted astronomer, is visiting UCLan to give a public talk. Here's his research webpage:

[chandra.as.utexas.edu]

He will be visiting the UK during 26th September to 4th October. Besides being an astronomer, he and his wife are very avid birders and hope to do some birding during the weekend 1-2 October. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of birding. I have a list of birds John and Mary would like to see, the only one of which I recognise being a bittern. They have travelled the world birding and there is a Collins 1995 handbook which they use to mark what they have seen.

My question is is there anyone on this forum who might be interested in the challenge of accompanying John and Mary in their quest to see birds they have not before? I can include the list of birds they have never seen and I gather that even a few of these would make them happy. Anyone accompanying John would learn a bit about black holes, dark matter, and galaxies I'm sure and would also be welcome to the public talk we are organising and the dinner after. John and Mary are prepared for the usual hardships involved, early hours, wading about, patience etc. They don't want to be babysat, they want someone knowledgeable to show them the good spots and join in a bit of birding fun.

Please let me know if you are interested, either through this forum or privately at vpdebattista@gmail.com. Oh and just to prove I'm not trolling, here's me:

[www.star.uclan.ac.uk]

Thanks,

Victor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter