Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Otters

Posted by Jeff Butcher 
Otters
June 07, 2016 04:09PM
I guess I am one of those who generally has welcomed the return of otters to our countryside. I must have seen more in the last ten years than in the whole of the first 60 years of my life.

I was interested to hear on Springwatch recently (if I heard right) that there was conclusive evidence that otters had taken eggs or young of the bitterns at Minsmere.

I was wondering if the success of the otter at Leighton Moss might be connected to the failure of the bittern there?

I have heard rumours that damage to swans in the area is attributable to otters by their style of killing.

While I welcome the return of the otter, I'd be unhappy if it implied the destruction of some species of birds.

We obviously need scientific evidence - is anything being done by anyone?

Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter