Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Magpie nest decoration?

Posted by magpiesnests 
Magpie nest decoration?
October 10, 2014 11:25AM
Hello,

My name is Lucy and I am currently studying for a PhD at the University of Exeter looking at Magpie behaviour. As part of this study I aim to build up a deeper understanding of Magpie breeding behaviour and an interesting observation from the field has been that the magpies decorate the top of their nests with sticky weed/cleavers (Galium Aparine). I am interested in whether this habit is particular to the magpies of the field site (in Warwickshire) or whether other magpies elsewhere (in Lancaster, for example!) also decorate their nests, either with cleavers or with other objects.

So if you have noticed a magpie nest with decoration and would like to get in touch please send:

A description of the nest and its decoration
The geographic location of the nest
And, if possible, a photo of the nest and its decoration

Either get in contact via this forum or email magpies.nests@gmail.com.

I would be very grateful and interested in any information or observations and will, of course, be happy to share any findings.

Thanks for your help,

Lucy
Re: Magpie nest decoration?
October 11, 2014 01:40PM
Lucy - so you mean next breeding season?
Re: Magpie nest decoration?
October 13, 2014 12:33PM
Hi Pete, I guess observations in the next breeding season would be the most helpful however I am interested in anything people have seen in the past as well. There is a lot folklore about magpies, particularly about them collecting objects and I am interested in anything people have noticed over the years. Sorry I should have made that clearer! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter