Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Ash emergence

Posted by eddybayton 
Ash emergence
May 17, 2014 08:24PM
Is it me, or is this the biggest difference in oak and ash leaf emergence? Most oaks I have seen have finished flowering and leaf emergence is complete (at sea level). The ash buds are still closed, just emerging, or just starting to stretch. Question: Is this the fact that we have had the mildest and one of the wettest winters for decades or are we seeing a blanket coverage of ash dieback in sickening trees. I have not seen an ash in full leaf, let alone flower, in the area and it is May 17th.
Re: Ash emergence
May 18, 2014 10:44AM
A few decades ago I used to grow pot leeks for exhibition in the North East. It was tradition to plant these out when the ash leaves were beginning to unfurl - almost always in the last week of May but very occasionally early June. Of course this area is milder and the leaves should appear earlier. That said I have noticed a number of local trees (Burton) that still look dormant!

Daniel Astley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter