Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Migration paths in area

Posted by matt b 
Migration paths in area
September 11, 2013 06:32PM
I have recently been pondering over migration paths within the lancaster district and imagine that some theories must already exist. My terminology may not be correct, but hopefully you will get the jist of what I am trying to say.

In the spring I recall large numbers of Garden Warblers in the Lune Valley between Caton and Gressingham. Subsequent visits showed these numbers reduce, so I presumed these to be passing migrants.

I have been checking the keer mouth most days over the last week and there seem to be good numbers of (what I guess unscientifically to be from new birds appearing and disappearing) passing migrant warblers through this area. I also counted >30 Wheaters on Monday, which I couldn't find again on Tuesday.

Do migrating birds tend to follow river valleys and tend to have favoured "trade routes", using the example of the Lune Valley and Keer Valley? And are there then known areas that are noted for not seeing high numbers of passing migrants? For example during spring migration this year I occasionally checked Jenny Brown's Point, but I've never been that impressed by numbers there. Does this relate to the geography?

To cut to the chase, which bush should I be looking in for my Barred Warlbers? - (joke)
Re: Migration paths in area
September 12, 2013 02:19PM
Sounds like you are ready for a bit of vis mig, Matt! Recommend Bryan Yorke's site or the Heysham Obs site for general migration - call up September-November over the years in both cases - and the Aldcliffe site for grounded stuff ( a bit vague on vis!). Also Jean Robert's stuff on Caton Moor which answers your river valley question as does the stuff which flies past my house in autumn at the western end of the Aire/Wenning gap (mainly east to west migrants such as Redwing/Fieldfare)

Decent numbers of night migrants is a bit tricky to predict on the west coast e.g. I got out of bed this morning for the wrong kind of mist which dropped nothing, yet sometimes you 'get it right', usually when there is an east wind round an anticyclone and poor visibility out to sea, or the leading edge of a weather front approaching from the south coincides with dawn - the latter has really produced on occasions but is a matter of critical timing........................and its often much better at Spurn!

Above all, stay out of hides during the migration seasons until at least when it goes quiet in the late afternoon!
September 12, 2013 02:21PM
The imminent migratory question is whether the wind is going to be too far to the north-west for Leach's in our area on Monday - I suspect so, but there will be a shedload in the Mersey on at least Tuesday
September 12, 2013 02:50PM
Thanks for reply. Yes, I have been keeping a close eye on the weather for next week. It's about time I saw a Leach's rather than sat on the sea wall getting cold and wet in an autumn storm. I think twice last year I gave up and went home only to see that one had been seen half an hour later.

Spurn and Portland always seem to produce the birds. Except for Sunday when I was on Portland and we had one measly Balearic and no Ortolan. (But I shouldn't complain as I did get to see the Semipalmated Sandpiper at Lymington the day before).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2013 02:52PM by matt b.
September 18, 2013 08:44PM
Sorry - please ignore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2013 10:22PM by Jean Roberts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter