Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Hoopoe seen in Lancaster!

Posted by LindaD 
Hoopoe seen in Lancaster!
September 09, 2020 11:30PM
As notified on the Faacebook page "Labcaster Past & Present", a Hoopoe was seen on a pavement in a street between Scotch Quarry and the Boys Grammar School. I've looked - it's not there now!

The sighting was confirmed by a photo - no doubt possible. Unconfirmed sighting on Miss Whalley's Field.

See Fb page [www.facebook.com]

John
Re: Hoopoe seen in Lancaster!
September 10, 2020 09:02AM
I had a call from Pete Marsh yesterday morning so had a scoot around Primrose, Scotch Quarry etc. It was a bit awkward because there was a policeman stood in front of a doorway on Dunkeld Street, usually a portent for an untimely or unexpected death, so walking around the back alleys with a camera and bins seemed inappropriate really. The back alleys, unsprayed, are deep in weeds and the thing could have been hiding anywhere. I will look out anyway in the next few days.
September 10, 2020 11:04AM
Are you sure there was a report from Whalley field? I spoke to the lady who had seen it in her garden on Kentmere Road but it flew off
September 10, 2020 03:06PM
What we are still not sure about is which sighting was first! The Kentmere Road one was about 1010hrs
September 10, 2020 06:07PM
346 likes of the tweeted photo so far - have people no homes to go to! Now 348!
September 10, 2020 06:11PM
I can't help Pete here. All I can say is I couldn't find it in Primrose and Scotch Quarry at 11am -12noon. If I'd known the Ridge was another location then I would have looked there. My top tip for a bird fond of close mown turf with millions of emerging craneflies right now would be Lansil Golf Course or the Bare Westgate Torrisholme cricket grounds and the Vale of Lune rugby pitches. Black-headed gulls are all we have at Torrisholme right now, no starlings, but I would be expecting a massive influx of alba wagtail very soon.

There is one bh gull with a metal ring and a regular visitor to Torrisholme over the last fortnight. The ring has dropped to sit above the bird's foot. I do not have the optics to even attempt reading it and at the moment all the birds are continuously on the move chasing craneflies as they emerge.
September 11, 2020 09:07AM
500 plus likes now - including Richard Taylor Jones and media personnel
September 11, 2020 10:34AM
In Facebook comments Andrew McCafferty asked the Dunkeld Street lady for the time stamp on her photo and she reported it as 09:19.
September 12, 2020 12:25PM
Thanks very much for that timing - it was therefore seen afterwards at Kentmere Road at 1010 and someone from south Lancaster is claiming it/jumping on the wagon later in the day but no details
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter