Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Swifts

Posted by Jeff Butcher 
Swifts
July 22, 2020 07:58PM
I have been trying to watch out for the "Seabourne Road" swifts in Bare. From Bare Lane this morning there were I think a maximum of 12 swifts screaming round the roof tops.

Jeff B
Re: Swifts
July 22, 2020 10:47PM
This morning before the 9.30am rain was a pretty good time to watch a colony. Either early morning or just before sundown on fair clear days. After lunch everything went end up with fog mist and drizzle. Your 12 birds will almost certainly be immature pre-breeding members of the colony. Surviving nests will be being visited by adults who focus on gathering food, feeding, returning to the sky and gathering again. These adults play no part in the screaming displays morning and evening until very late in the season where they may hang around for a day or two or depart immediately. If you have 12 immature swifts in your colony I would guess there are between 2 and 5 nests to look out for in the streets around where the screaming birds most often congregate. Feeding adults drop down and enter the site and depart again between 1 and 10 minutes later, obviously 'on a mission' .
Re: Swifts
July 23, 2020 10:24PM
A group of about 20 Swifts flew south over my house in Crag bank, Carnforth late yesterday evening at about 9pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter