Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Overton and Lades Marsh

Posted by Jeremy A 
Overton and Lades Marsh
May 20, 2020 03:32PM
Around 4pm today

On Lades Marsh

7 mute swans (more numerous than I have seen recently)
20+ shelducks

At Bazil Point

2 arctic terns
1 little egret

Overton
There is a flock of 30-40 birds that I can't identify that has been regularly circling for the past 2 months. Perhaps a tern as it has long wings. Grey/white underneath depending on the light.
Re: Overton and Lades Marsh
May 29, 2020 07:12PM
Bazil Point about 11am 29 May

1 grey heron
3 little egrets
2 great egret (possibly, they looked bigger but still had dark bills and legs)
2 arctic tern
1 duck I can't identify. Large, plump, mostly white body. Black stripe in the middle of crown/head. Black feathers underneath, making a horizontal stripe halfway up chest. Standing on one leg. I also saw 3 earlier this week, with 2 similar ducks that had dark feathers (maybe females or juveniles?)

25 Canadian Geese

Lades Marsh about 12pm

1 nightingale (I think, perched on a tree top)
8 mute Swans
1 pied wagtail. Very regularly in the big puddle in the turning area on the marsh side of the dyke
2 swifts
12 barn swallows
1 common buzzard (also saw 2 yesterday in a chase, fighting or breeding?)
Oyster catcher chasing a crow or rook over the marsh. Which seemed odd, but perhaps chasing it way from its nest.
Shelducks, too many to count
May 29, 2020 07:39PM
The black and white ducks will be drake Eiders, Jeremy. Their dark brown companions are females.
May 29, 2020 09:45PM
hi Dan,
thanks! That is definitely them
May 30, 2020 02:22PM
Bazil point around 11am 30 May

4 adult Canadian Geese. Each pair had 4 chicks each (8 in total). Although one of the adults was actually a greylag, and based on behaviour looked to be one of the parents. 14 other Canadian Geese arrived later on.

1 cormorant - diving for a little while, then resting on the weir
4 eider duck (2f, 2m)
1 whimbrel
1 grey heron
1 little egret
8 black headed gull
1 arctic tern
2 oyster catcher

Lades Marsh around 11.30am

1 sedge warbler (or not - very similar to sedge warbler description, but with red/brownish patches on breast)

Also, another extended and very acrobatic chase by an oyster catcher over the marsh, this time it was a juvenile great black backed gull being was being chased off

And finally, seen the first juvenile starlings of the season in our garden. A brood of 8 juveniles with 2 parents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2020 02:24PM by Jeremy A.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter