Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Yealand Godwits
March 29, 2020 03:03PM
400-500 Black Tailed Godwits in the flooded field by the side of Yealand village Primary school. I think they are flying into the fields which have been recently spread with manure.
Can be seen from the road or from a footpath on north of school.
Certainly the highlight of my walk from Warton this morning.
Re: Yealand Godwits
March 29, 2020 07:30PM
I daresay some if not all of these are also using Aldcliffe. I've seen the Aldcliffe birds heading high NNE on several occasions, and Guy McC has noted them dropping in SSW.

310 at Aldcliffe this afternoon.
March 30, 2020 08:42AM
We are fortunate enough to have JBP on our daily exercise route. Black-tailed godwits have been a real feature for a week now.
On 25th I estimated 900, on 26th 1,300, and 29th the numbers were still up around 1,000. Another day, viewing from Heald Brow, a broad string of birds could be seen on Morecambe Pool, which were almost certainly black-tailed godwits, and those seen on 26th included birds flying to JBP from the direction of Morecambe Pools as the tide was ebbing. Nor do these birds necessarily stop at JBP, with flocks flying up channel, and hundreds being visible from Silverdale Shore on occasion.
Redshank numbers also good, though no counts since 615 on Silverdale Shore on 22nd March. Flock of c50 dunlin stay at Silverdale on the 8.5m tides, but JBP at 9.5m. Haven't made any counts of oystercatcher or curlew.
JBP had a single turnstone on 23rd and 3 on 29th.
Duck at JBP on 29th included 9 wigeon and 13 rbm, with one pair, away from the main group, mating, as well as displaying.
Chiffchaffs throughout Jack Scout, Heald Brow, and Woodwell since 23rd.
2 tree sparrows in garden every week since 23rd Feb, 2 on feeder during breakfast today.
April 02, 2020 01:13PM
Godwits not been seen for past couple of days but were present until two days ago.
Tree sparrow numbers in Yealand are fluctuating, had been as low as 8 in garden for past two weeks, suddenly today up to 28 (winter high was 50). Greenfinch numbers seemingly stable.
Single swallow seen over Yealand on 25th March.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter