Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Ring necked Duck

Posted by pete marsh 
Ring necked Duck
November 17, 2019 12:05PM
1CY male Pine Lake

Whilst a drip-feed of birders cars is seen as ok on here, a major influx on a Sunday afternoon is a different matter

Please politely ask at reception if it is ok to go in unless you hear differently
Re: Ring necked Duck
November 17, 2019 12:37PM
Message from Pete: Management at Pine Lake have been contacted and they are very kindly allowing people to drive in without checking in but please keep to the roads and don't wander off between the chalets.
Best viewed from left hand side (as you drive in) near the sailing club.
Thanks very much.
November 17, 2019 01:02PM
Apologies for the slow release of news on this bird. I found it 10.00 am, but as it was mostly asleep it was originally texted to RBA as a 'possible', then a 'probable'. Unfortunately texts and phone calls to PJM went unanswered as he had left his phone at home and without WiFi I was unable to message the WhatsApp group!

Thankfully several observers have now seen this bird. As Jean has stated its best viewed from the entrance to the Water Sports Centre at the NW corner of the lake. Its with a mixed group of Tufted Duck and Pochard adjacent the reedbed.

Also at Pine Lake: 5 Scaup, 76 Tufted Duck, 26 Pochard, 6 Goosander and 4 Goldeneye.

Pete C
November 17, 2019 04:51PM
Still present 1611hrs. Challenging when head fully tucked in!
November 17, 2019 07:12PM
Good find PC! When was the last record of Ring-necked Duck for our recording area?
November 17, 2019 09:33PM
There appear to be only two previous records:

An adult male at Dockacres back pool on 20/9/1989 which remained until 5/11/1989 and frequently commuted to Leighton Moss with Pochard.

A female at Dockacres on 26/10/1990 that commuted between Dockacres, Pine Lake and Leighton Moss until 26/5/1991.

So this is the first in 28 years.. unless the bird I remember seeing on the River Kent at the south end of Kendal and Killington Reservoir in about 1994 wandered into the LDBWS area. A male at Scorton on 21/5/1994 was presumably just south of the recording area.

Pete C
November 17, 2019 09:53PM
Thanks Pete.
November 17, 2019 11:27PM
Scorton Bird was in - now Wyreside fisheries - long overdue another decent bird. I don't think the Kendal one entered the area. Remember finding the Male on what is now Clearwater fisheries as an eclipse adult. Again it was asleep but far far easier to identify when asleep than this one. The female was first seen by Bob Homan, county moth recorder for Wiltshire - fortunately I was close by at the time and we sorted the identification out. As a cautionary tale - I checked Pine Lake late yesterday afternoon from the east side checking the five Scaup and only gave the feeding frenzy of mixed pochard and tufted alongside the reedbed a cursory glance and didn't go round to the other side. Very poor birding!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2019 11:33PM by pete marsh.
November 18, 2019 09:58AM
Interesting, so 25 years ago in our recording area since the last RND at Scorton, but doesn't appear in the Annual Report of 1994.

Edit....Accidentally omitted from Annual Report (Checklist)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2019 10:07AM by Pete Woodruff.
November 18, 2019 05:00PM
Bird still present at 15.15 today
November 19, 2019 06:51PM
The only news today was posted mid morning
Re: Ring-necked Duck
November 21, 2019 12:34PM
21 November 10:30 Bird showing really well close to watersports area in and out of reed margins.. Smaller than Tufted, lower in the water particularly from the rear. It stayed with one group of Tufted with the odd Pochard then flew off towards the motorway side of the lake. White ring on bill very clear, white margin less so. Upturn in pale patch at front of the flank also clear. Slight peak to rear of head varies. Difficult at far side of lake.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/11/2019 01:45PM by redders.

November 21, 2019 05:04PM
Interesting - it wasn't there yesterday or at 0900 this am - multiple checks - and as suggested on the What'sapp a large (67) concentration of diving duck near dusk on Borwick Lake (the most eastern pit) probably the explanation. Borwick lake held smaller numbers of duck today. So if you can't find it (Make sure it hasn't gone temporarily into the reeds), worth going over the stile and round to the eastern side of Borwick Lake. Scope needed. RND still present 1500 today on Pine Lake
November 21, 2019 05:14PM
I saw grebes but missed the diver.

just for your interest I was at PL for quite a while yesterday just after lunch. No sign of R-n D. There were 4 birdwatchers at PL and only 3 at a time. Two of the three are good birdwatchers. Today just lucky old me as the R-nD was a few yards away and spotted within minutes of arriving. Not too obvious cf tufted hence the photos and witterings to help others.

PL seem to have a positive attitude to birdwatchers. Near the watersports place there is easy parking out of the way of customers and a planter/barrier to give your legs a bit of shelter.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 21/11/2019 05:43PM by redders.
November 22, 2019 12:04PM
Friday 22 November 2019
RnD present.10:15 onwards
Here's a photo of the bird at rest. Still an easy spot as noticeably smaller than Tufted. Feeding very close to reed margins with Tufted, and occasionally Goosander, Pochard and a Black-headed Gull wondering what all the fuss is about.

November 23, 2019 11:50PM
So you would definitely not have overlooked it asleep in a flock of Tufted if you didn't know it was there? IMO the female lesser Scaup a few years ago was easier!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter