Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Lapwing Oystercatcher Curlew
July 08, 2019 05:19PM
All three of the titled birds have been regulars in this field on Quernmore Road above Lancaster near Daisy Bank. Well grown lapwing chicks and earlier oystercatcher chicks seen plus adult curlew until a few weeks ago, vigorously defending the area from crows. The photo is first cut meadow hay, and quite a rare sight to see it small baled these days for straight barn storage. I like good news and although I have no positive proof of complete breeding success I will take my hat off to this landowner for 'proper' haymaking and giving these declining species a chance. It deserves recognition.

(Photo to follow later when I can work out how to resize it to 200k !)
Re: Lapwing Oystercatcher Curlew
July 08, 2019 05:37PM
OK ....I cropped the original image to a fraction of what it originally showed but it's still a reasonable picture of small baled hay on 8th July ha ha...

Note to Andrew...if at any point it's possible, could the website be updated to accept images directly of a size found on modern smartphones? No criticism but this aspect of the current site provider is way out of date. Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter