Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Aldcliffe

Posted by j carter 
Aldcliffe
June 10, 2019 04:22PM
Yesterday afternoon there were 3 little ringed plover on the Wildfowlers' Pools (all adults) so today I went down with the express intention of finding a nest, or two, and / or chicks. Sadly I couldn't locate anything bar a single adult LRP. Are these failed breeders just hanging around or was I just looking in the wrong place? Hopefully the latter.

Just 2 young lapwings present here too, both just about fledged. At least 3 birds have relaid and were sitting in the maize field. Two oystercatcher pairs have also relaid here.

Yesterday over the course of 1.5hrs I didn't see a single swallow. Today there were just two seen over 3 hours. Ordinarily I would expect them to be a pretty permanent presence around Aldcliffe at this time of year. Reasonable numbers of house martins, presumably from the nearby colony off Willow Lane, and a handful of swifts.

Normal-ish numbers of common whitethroat around but lesser whitethroat numbers seem down, as do sedge warblers. Blackcaps appear to be in abundance!
Re: Aldcliffe
June 10, 2019 06:52PM
Common whitethroat with at least three fledged young in the hedge near the Wildfowl's Pool.
The Mute Swans on Freeman's Pool still have their five cygnets.
Re: Aldcliffe
June 11, 2019 08:54AM
I've been checking the scrape pool on Folly Lane just N of the Barley Cop Lane railway bridge. No sign of LRP at all this year but this may be because it is dominated by a pair of coot with 5 chicks. They are about 3 weeks old now and circle the whole pool. On the margins are a single moorhen and a mallard with just two well grown young.

On a plus note my machine shed is occupied with swallows again but I'd agree, apart from this group they are not thick on the ground. I had a party of longtailed tit through this week as well, perhaps 25+ birds.

I've been wondering if the 'false Spring' we had in February before a stormy March has had an affect on insect populations this year. Quite a few of the bees I'd normally see in April and May are only now appearing in decent numbers (red tailed, white tailed, solitary miner etc)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter