Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Waxwing

Posted by eddybayton 
Waxwing
January 03, 2019 11:50AM
There is a single waxwing at the very end of Willow Lane dead end on the junction with Leighton drive near Lancaster Quay. It is feeding on a white rowan and using a tall birch tree on L drive as a secure retreat vantage. Quite a bit of fruit left. Small tree.
Re: Waxwing
January 03, 2019 12:16PM
Following yesterday's disappointing dip in Chorley, without doubt, I will be there in less than an hour (depending on trains of course)...

Thanks Eddy for sharing,

Matt
January 03, 2019 12:27PM
The Waxwing was still present at 12.15 pm. Its 'sharing' the white rowan tree with a male Blackcap, 2 Mistle Thrush, 2 Blackbirds and several Starlings, but there are still plenty of berries (for now).

Nice to be able to walk c.200 metres down the road to see a good bird! Unfortunately the berry trees at the front of our house (which have previously held Waxwing) are without berries this winter.

Pete C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 12:59PM by P Crooks.
January 03, 2019 02:06PM
Waxwing still present when I left at 14:00
It seems to do a circuit around the estate, from the white Rowan to the Silver birch and to other various tall trees within the vicinity.

2 Mistle thrush
1 male Blackcap
Several Blackbirds and Starlings
1 female Chaffinch

Happy new year all!

MJ
January 03, 2019 04:18PM
Thanks for phoning Eddy
January 03, 2019 06:17PM
Quickest way to get it out Pete :-) I don't subscribe to Birdguides but a text to a few people then a post to LDBWS seems to sort this on most occasions... all good.

I was actually doing an extended tour of all my known red berry trees on the way to work. I had to drive to the very end of Willow Lane to turn round and the bird was perched classically at the top of the birch tree, upright with the crest showing. Total luck hitting it.

To answer your original question there is a small fruited pink rowan in the Boot & Shoe car park and another on Lentworth Drive at the bottom of Hala Hill. Next best are the bastard service trees. A circuit of the Ridge Estate or alternatively the tree in the playground at Ryelands Primary School may be productive but as always exercise responsibility when observing in these places. I haven't checked the side streets off Albert Road W.End Morecambe but these are also well planted with fruiting Sorbus spp.
January 03, 2019 09:20PM
Thanks eddy - Albert road area of Morecambe has previous
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter