Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Great grey shrike

Posted by j carter 
Great grey shrike
December 04, 2018 08:25PM
Gg shrike still present at Leighton Moss in area to the east of Lower Hide
Re: Great grey shrike
December 05, 2018 07:52AM
Spoke to the couple who located it at 13:00 about 200m further along the path from Lower Hide. It was perched in a Hawthorn in the fields east of the reserve and then flew in the direction of lower hide. A few people carried on looking but no further sightings as far as I aware yesterday afternoon.

At the same time a Bittern took off from the ditch adjacent to the lower hide path and flew down the path for approx. 100m and then turned towards the vicinity of the lower hide, amazing!

Cheers
Steve
Re: Great grey shrike
December 06, 2018 05:24PM
I managed a good, albeit brief, view 13:50 this afternoon. It was trying to perch on the thin upper twigs of a large bush. It managed a balancing act for a few seconds, before dropping down to far side of bush. I waited "patiently" for it to reappear, but never saw it again.
Most of the views were from behind and below. Good views of (short) wings and, very impressive, tail. But the few views of head, flank and back, didn't strike me as "clean". The grey looked grubby and the flanks creamy, but it was raining and had been all day, probably affecting both plumage and visibility.

The bush looks like a hawthorn, with a young tree growing through it. It is in the field 35m behind the long memorial bench to William and Ada Garner (bet they would be pleased). The bench is situated on path c300m beyond where the turn off to Low hide is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter