Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Lancaster Canal unusual bird?

Posted by Jeff Butcher 
Lancaster Canal unusual bird?
September 30, 2018 12:45PM
I had contact yesterday with someone who is claiming a red-necked grebe for the Lancaster canal over several days of last week between Hammerton Hall Bridge and the Aqueduct.

I went yesterday and only found one great-crested grebe on the Lune beneath the aqueduct. I sent her photos but she says it wasn't the bird she saw - stating it had a yellow or partially yellow bill. Unfortunately no photo. She is going looking again tomorrow armed with camera.

Has any user been along this stretch of canal recently and seen an unusual bird diving?

Any information on here or direct to me (text on 07484332661 please).

Thanks
Jeff Butcher
Re: Lancaster Canal unusual bird?
September 30, 2018 02:42PM
It might be worth showing her juvenile Red breasted Merganser or Goosander in the bird book. They have that pale line behind the bill which might be seen as a pale bill base.

Ian
Re: Lancaster Canal unusual bird?
September 30, 2018 05:16PM
Been through all the possible pics, Ian, but thanks for the idea. J
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter