Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Lune WeBS Crook to Skerton

Posted by Jean Roberts 
Lune WeBS Crook to Skerton
September 08, 2018 09:35AM
The WeBS count is on Sunday but there are no buses in the Lune Valley on Sunday to get to the count start at Crook o Lune, Saturday looked to be very wet so I went on Friday morning (7th) and it was a good count for a change, probably because of no disturbance from canoeists which have plagued all the other counts I've done this year. Only two off-lead dogs in the river this time but they were under good control, even so the birds stayed 100m distant from them. The only other disturbance took place after I'd finished the count when a guy with a black labrador walked along the top of Skerton Weir and flushed a load of Mallard and scared away the Mute Swans. Right, rant over, here's the count:

Mallard 79 (mostly males and all still in eclipse plumage)
Mute Swan 4 - at Halton and Skerton Weirs
Grey Heron 5 - one at Forge Weir, rest at Skerton Weir
Little Egret 1 - at Skerton Weir
Cormorant 3 - one at Crook, one below Forge Weir, one at Skerton Weir
Goosander 9 - the fishermen will be going spare as most were on the beat below Forge Weir
Moorhen 5 - two above Forge Weir, one downstream from Halton Weir, two downstream from the Aqueduct
Dipper 3 - two at the original fish pass at Forge Weir and one just below the new by-pass bridge
Grey Wagtail 1 - gorge section opposite the ecohouses
Kingfisher 3 - one flew upstream from Forge Weir, one downstream from Denny Beck bridge, one on Skerton Weir.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 09:36AM by Jean Roberts.
Re: Lune WeBS Crook to Skerton
September 09, 2018 09:19PM
My first Little Grebe of the Autumn returned to the Crook today. Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter