Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Conder and Glasson

Posted by Ian Hartley 
Conder and Glasson
August 12, 2018 02:39PM
12th August

Conder Green
Greenshank 2
Teal 4
Kingfisher 1
Common Tern 4 adults
Sand Martin 40
Little Grebe 13

Lune from Glasson bowling green
Little Egret 13
Redshank 730
Dunlin 87
Greenshank 3
Ringed Plover 6
Lapwing 210
Canada Goose 260+
Swift 5

Glasson Marsh
Little Egret 35 plus another 20 on north side of river = 55
Golden Plover 87
Eider 8
Curlew 55

Ian Hartley
Re: Conder and Glasson
August 12, 2018 03:23PM
Hi Ian
Many thanks for this update.
I'm presuming that you didn't see the CT chick on Tern Island, otherwise you would have reported it. The chick should be 21 days old today and due to fledge shortly. Were 2 of the 4 Adult birds you reported still situate on Tern Island and bringing any fish in?
I can't be at Conder Pool until late Tuesday pm and am keen to know any progress of the sole remaining chick.
Any news I would be grateful for.
Cheers
Pinky
August 12, 2018 07:59PM
No chick seen today despite watching for it, and although there were adults carrying fish I didn't see them delivering food to a chick so I think they were just getting in some courtship behaviour - obviously too late for breeding this year, and I'm not sure whether they routinely maintain courtship feeding this late or not - but last week the parents were provisioning while other adults were still carrying food about and behaving like courting pairs (one was metal ringed and so definitely not one of the parents of the island chick). So, in summary, yes there are adults with food, but I don't think that all carried fish are for the chick. Despite what I saw, the chick could still be alive around the back of the island of course.

Ian
August 12, 2018 08:09PM
Much appreciated Ian and many thanks for a response.
Pinky
August 13, 2018 02:01PM
Update:
I received a text this morning to confirm the chick is alive and well and was seen on the front promontory.
Pinky
August 14, 2018 01:44PM
The chick was on the island this morning and also had a brief swim.
August 14, 2018 02:46PM
Thanks Barrie
I hope to get to the Pool around 4pm for a couple of hours and take a few pics of it.
Cheers
Pinky
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter