Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Yellow-legged Gull

Posted by pete marsh 
Yellow-legged Gull
August 03, 2018 11:15PM
2CY Red Nab this afternoon before flying off south on its own. Several record shots but structural shots difficult as preening all the time. See Heysham site for one or two. Quite a striking bird commanding immediate attention amongst all the nearby juv Herring, Lesser and one or two GBB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 10:35PM by pete marsh.
Re: Yellow-legged Gull
August 04, 2018 07:27PM
I had this bird at Teal bay on the
29th July. I don't have my camera,
it was the same as the Heysham
bird. After going through a lot of
photo's I put it down as a variant
of Herring gull

Jeff
August 04, 2018 10:22PM
Many reasons why the Red Nab bird was not a Herring Gull, Jeff, starting with tertials. What age was your bird, please? Did you see the tail pattern well?
August 04, 2018 11:44PM
Responded to Jeff privately - you can't hold a discussion on this site with record shots due to necessary size reduction rendering them hopeless

Is there absolutely nothing that can be done about this increasingly archaic scenario with photograph size please?
August 09, 2018 10:53PM
Error made here - presume same bird seen today and definitely 2cy with identification favouring YLG, especially the bits not visible such as tail band width and distribution of white
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter