Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Freehold swifts

Posted by jeanmcc 
Freehold swifts
August 02, 2018 07:45PM
At least 40 high over Freehold at 20.35 tonight.
Re: Freehold swifts
August 07, 2018 08:12PM
Jean...

I had an almost identical record the same night, 46 birds. Subsequently the decline has been rapid. I may be proved wrong but I suspect that about wraps it up for swifts in SE Freehold. Sunset figures over the last few nights...

3rd ... 44
4th ... 51
5th ... 30
6th ... 17
7th ... 7 ... and no chasing or screaming. All observations between 8.30pm and 9.10 pm.

I suspect these last birds are still roosting with ready to fledge young. There is a slight possibility of a late egg lay which may show up one or two late staying adults. This is the case in Oxford at the moment.
August 07, 2018 08:26PM
Jean...

I had an almost identical record the same night, 46 birds. Subsequently the decline has been rapid. I may be proved wrong but I suspect that about wraps it up for swifts in SE Freehold. Sunset figures over the last few nights...

3rd ... 44
4th ... 51
5th ... 30
6th ... 17
7th ... 7 ... and no chasing or screaming. All observations between 8.30pm and 9.10 pm.

I suspect these last birds are still roosting with ready to fledge young. There is a slight possibility of a late egg lay which may show up one or two late staying adults. This is the case in Oxford at the moment.
August 07, 2018 08:27PM
Repeated post sorry...no idea how this has happened.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter