Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

SE Owl OOA??

Posted by eddybayton 
SE Owl OOA??
June 20, 2018 02:58PM
Took a couple of hours out and did a car trip from Wray to Slaidburn then Dunsop Bridge and Quernmore this morning. Quite a few of the usual moorland spp seen plus a tidy male Redstart on a post on the way into Slaidburn.

Highlight was watching a short eared owl hunting in a stiff breeze between the Botton Head turnoff and the Cross O'Greet. It was less than 50 yards away and quartered the same patch for perhaps 10-15 minutes making several sharp dives into the bracken until finally it came up with a small mammal which it transferred to its bill from its feet in flight. It seemed oblivious to me as it hunted. Not sure if this is in or out of the LDBWS area but it was fantastic to see.
Re: SE Owl OOA??
June 20, 2018 03:26PM
Hi Eddy,

It is in the LDBWS area - just.

best wishes,
Pete C
June 20, 2018 05:20PM
Thank you Pete. On the basis it was West of the road and flew purposefully NW after making a kill is it fair to assume it was returning to fledglings in the LDBWS area or not? I am not familiar with the breeding cycle.
June 20, 2018 09:36PM
At least Three individuals in that general area between the great stone and cross of Greet
June 20, 2018 09:38PM
The recording area boundary, Eddie, is roughly where the long wall
June 21, 2018 06:16AM
Thank you
June 21, 2018 08:08AM
Male Hen Harrier passing through the area last night, also a Long-eared Owl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2018 08:29AM by Geoff Pain.
June 21, 2018 01:04PM
Hi Geoff. Was the long eared owl a
June 21, 2018 05:08PM
??????????????? Pete
June 22, 2018 09:19AM
Keep forgetting speech marks eliminate text on here. Can you please PM me the location of the LEO please if it was in LDBWS area as opposed to by Cross of Greet bridge. I live near there and am doing a few dusk squeaky gate trawls this next week especially as the SEO presence suggests decent vole numbers in that area c/f any successful LEO broods. Thanks
June 22, 2018 08:58PM
The SEO is on chicks There are plenty of voles this year,, Nice to see and to see them hunting
June 22, 2018 10:17PM
I had three seo this evening - more than one pair in the area
June 25, 2018 09:19PM
Nice to see, as you say there are a few birds in and around the areas, All on chicks/owlets
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter