Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Crook O' Lune & local area forays.

Posted by Steve Graham 
Re: Crook O' Lune & local area forays.
April 12, 2019 07:35AM
12/4 - Notable 3 Teal, 2 drakes and a female. Only second record here in last 6 years.

Cheers
Steve
April 16, 2019 03:52PM
15/04 - Willow Warbler singing on the estate, same date as last year following run of cold Easteries.

16/04 - Willow Warbler *2S, Chiffchaff*2S and Blackcap*4S. Notable was a singing Stock Dove heard near the road bridge. My first record here this year.

Cheers
Steve
April 17, 2019 07:30AM
17/04 - Notable 10 Redwing on the estate first thing then flew E. First here this year!

Cheers
Steve
April 20, 2019 07:27AM
19/4 - 5 Fieldfare N was notable as my only second record here this year.

20/4 - Bull Beck, Common Sandpiper 3, singing and displaying. Pair of Kingfishers and c100 Sand Martins just upstream entering nest holes. No sign of any LRP.

Artle Beck - Dipper from cycle path.

Happy Easter
Steve
April 22, 2019 09:08PM
21/4 - My first calling Green Woodpecker here in 2 years then same or another bird heard from cycle path at Caton. A House Martin was in a new/artificial nest singing opposite the Methodist Church in Caton. Still not had one over the house yet.

22/4 - Something I had suspected for a few years and witnessed tonight was a Kestrel attacking Bats at dusk on the estate. Actually, my first Kestrel record here this year. One then usually roosts near the Bat colony awaiting a meal during the summer months!

Cheers
Steve
April 24, 2019 07:39AM
24/04 - An early bike ride produced the following:

LRP 3, Redshank pair, Common Sand 4 + 1 at the Crook this morning. Pair of Grey Wagtails and all the Pieds checked were Pieds! Male Kingfisher most of the time I was present.

LRP best viewed with a scope to the right of the fisherman's shelter but mobile.

Cheers
Steve
May 09, 2019 05:46PM
c200 House Martins feeding around the Crook in the cool cloud and rain at 16:30. Quite an impressive sight.

Cheers
Steve
May 11, 2019 07:41AM
11/5 - Cannot compete with the coastal delights of Heysham & Leighton Moss but an early morning bike ride produced a few local records.

Early cycle ride to Bull Beck. Highlight was a singing Lesser Whitethroat just south of the cycle path between Caton and turn off to Holme Lane. My first along there and pretty scarce in the Lune Valley. At least 3 pairs of Common Sandpipers at BB. No sign of the Kingfishers but Reed Bunting singing. No sign either of the LRP but if nesting pretty elusive and distant.

Dipper collecting food on Artle Beck. Forge Weir produced a singing Garden Warbler.

Cheers
Steve
May 14, 2019 06:36AM
14/5 - Spot Fly back on site and singing this morning. Arrival date midway between early arrival of 12/5 and recent later date of 17/5.

Cheers
Steve
May 21, 2019 05:36AM
20/5 - Shelduck pair with 9 small young on the western rocks. A first record here for me. Also Spot Fly around and Tawny Owl being mobbed regularly. A sad note, female GSW found dead on drive early evening. No doubt has a nest full of young nearby.

Cheers
Steve
May 22, 2019 09:36PM
22/05 - Adult Whooper Swan still hanging around and seen at Bull Beck this morning.

Cheers
Steve
May 27, 2019 09:14AM
25/5 - Goosander female and 6 young seen at the Crook. Only my second breeding record here since moving in. Pheasant successfully bred on the estate for the second year running. Of interest a Nuthatch has taken over a woodcrete Starling nest box, cemented the hole and successfully bred. Common Sandpiper quietened down so hopefully breeding at the Crook.

Cheers
Steve
June 04, 2019 07:07AM
03/06 - Plenty of interest on the estate at the moment. A Hobby turned up at 21:35 and sat in a Larch for approx. 7 minutes. Looked another 2cy bird as we had summer 2 years ago.

2 broods of Pheasant chicks raised as last year. A pair of Common Sandpipers look to be breeding and a pair of Spot Fly have settled in. Regularly c30 Swifts feeding over the Crook each evening.

My first Red Admirals of the year seen at LM and on the estate 3/6.

Cheers
Steve
June 11, 2019 03:52PM
11/6 - No further sightings of the Hobby so far. This is what exactly happened here last year.

Where have all the Swallows gone? Few and far between here and just a single House Martin over the river at lunchtime. Swifts still regular but probably due to the cool conditions rather than an actual increase in population locally.

GSW young have fledged and a pair of Nuthatch have bred in a woodcrete Starling box for the first time and cemented the entrance hole smaller.

Insects generally poor at the moment but Azure & Large Red Damselflies in the garden pond recently in the sunshine.

Brimstones seem to have colonised the site since a good number of Alder Buckthorn were planted a few years ago.

Cheers
Steve
June 29, 2019 06:21AM
28/6 - Seems to be another, later, GSW brood with 2 young being fed on the garden feeders several weeks after the first pair brought young to the garden.

Siskin confirmed breeding here again this year with 2 young brought into the garden today.

Some evidence of Curlews on the move overhead as mentioned in coastal observations.

Cheers
Steve
July 19, 2019 02:40PM
17/07 - Really pleased to confirm Tawny Owl breeding on the estate with at least one juv. giving its begging call this evening.

19/07 - 3 Common Sandpiper on the western rocks this morning. A pair attempted breeding on the estate this year but outcome unknown.

Cheers
Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter