Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Dockacres Complex & Siskin

Posted by johnwilson 
Dockacres Complex & Siskin
February 11, 2018 08:06PM
All except Borwick Waters
Goosander 12
Wigeon 134
Shoveler 11
Tufted Duck 82
Pochard 5
Goldeneye 15
Great crested Grebe 9
Lapwing 520
Mute swan 5

Siskin
Seen on two peoples feeders today interested in any other reports.
John Wilson
Re: Dockacres Complex & Siskin
February 12, 2018 10:25AM
Male and female Siskin visiting feeders at Claughton most days. Started about 2 weeks ago
February 12, 2018 10:28AM
Small flock around the castle grounds yesterday 11th
February 12, 2018 02:26PM
Solitary male Siskin on feeder last week (8th) in our Heysham garden. Earliest sighting I've had as we usually get a few in March and April then none for the remainder of each year.
February 12, 2018 05:26PM
Hi John

Up to 20 birds all unringed so far coming to my feeders at the Crook O' Lune for the past few days. Also a healthy looking pair of Greenfinch here which are trickier in winter than Siskin usually!

Regards.
Steve
February 12, 2018 08:01PM
Siskin reported in small numbers from Yealand and Silverdale..
February 14, 2018 10:55AM
Siskin didn't come to our garden near Brookhouse church until we began feeding 5/1/17. (I'd long been curious about the impact of feeders in other gardens I'd had, & when we moved in April 2015 I kept a weekly list to establish a baseline to see what difference feeding made.)

Figures/dates below refer to GBW highest weekly counts + their week/beginning dates:

1st quarter 3 Siskins appeared w/b 29/1; up to 14/15 dropping back to 7 w/b 19/3
2nd quarter they appeared weekly with counts varying 2-5, including 2 juvs w/b 4/6
3rd quarter 1-3, with some blanks
4th quarter reappeared w/b 12/11; 2-5 thereafter, with some blanks

they've been weekly varying 7-11 so far

Is this the kind of pattern you'd expect John?

It's the sunflower seeds they come for - & sometimes the home-made bird pudding!
They also come to feeders in a garden 4 houses away - so it's a reliable feeding spot for them?

This quarter our nos of Goldfinch, Chaffinch & Greenfinch are all down compared to a year ago - & no Redpoll so far

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2018 11:06AM by stephen young.
February 14, 2018 04:56PM
Thanks to all for reports.My quess is that more Siskin will come in to gardens from now on as all the alders I have checked have no cones on. Numbers have varied in times past from year to year depending on the amount of natural food available so please keep on sending records in.
John Wilson
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter