Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Chough

Posted by howard 
Chough
January 06, 2018 05:01PM
Chough
Found at 15.20 calling over lower cliffs,
at Half Moon bay.
On beach
Pied Wagtail 1 male, 1 female, with a
White wagtail 1

Jeff
Re: Chough
January 06, 2018 05:47PM
I wonder where it is feeding on dry days when the grassland in the immediate vicinity is not so attractive (as it also wasn't to eg oystercatchers today)? Logically it should be the extensive horse paddock but that was searched from numerous angles ruling out hiding along a hedgeline. By all accounts the chough was intensively searched for in all its usual known haunts for a fair chunk of the day, only returning to the coast near roost time for Jeff.
January 06, 2018 06:21PM
I was talking to 2 birders from away who said,
they had seen it in the horse paddock but
I don't know what time that would have been.

Jeff
January 07, 2018 04:47PM
Present today between c.10:30 and until at least mid day on stretch of Heysham Head between beach at north of Half Moon Bay and the chapel. It spent most of its time feeding on the turf at the tops of the cliffs, dipping down into the longer vegetation on the slope above the small cliffs if pushed about by people and dogs. Was vocal, calling frequently.

January 08, 2018 03:30PM
In the half moon bay fields on and off during morning/lunchtime
January 09, 2018 07:23PM
as above at least 10ish and 1320ish
January 10, 2018 02:10PM
In the half moon bay on cliffs by the edge of the beach at 1.00pm. Very vocal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter