Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Chough

Posted by pete marsh 
Chough
November 28, 2017 09:56AM
Seen and photographed just north heysham head yesterday

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/11/2017 05:42PM by pete marsh.
Re: Chough
November 28, 2017 10:55AM
Showing brilliantly down to about one metre!!!! Along footpath running to shore from seaward end Knowlys road heysham (north side heysham head - turn down by strawberry gardens pub)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/11/2017 05:41PM by pete marsh.
November 28, 2017 11:49AM
Still there alongside footpath but disappears occasionally on to nearby rooftops
November 28, 2017 04:55PM
Still there on and off late afternoon with a regular routine of flying off towards heysham head for up to 40 mins
November 29, 2017 11:46AM
Is it still about today?
November 29, 2017 01:02PM
Yes, it's starting showing,very close.

Andrew
November 29, 2017 11:02PM
Is this bird ringed? There can't be that many Irish, Welsh or Scottish natal birds that aren't I would have thought. Certainly all the ones in S Ceredigion and N Pembs that can be accessed are. Are there more than 500 pairs in the entire British Isles? Watching the Ceredigion birds I sometimes wonder how many are missed, mistaken as jackdaws in the small coastal fields.
November 30, 2017 12:20AM
Definitely not ringed.
November 30, 2017 12:47AM
Favoured area is cSD413617 which is the south west corner of the horse fields on the north side of Knowlys Road alongside the footpath to the shore. However, it can get on to nearby rooftops and also into the small field to the west on the other side of the hedge along the footpath. Present to at least late afternoon. Snapper-friendly!
November 30, 2017 01:35PM
And there again today at least 0915 and 1200.
November 30, 2017 01:58PM
Re chough - not sure that snappers and birders hanging about by the footpath signpost is such a good idea. Saw it circle the field and not land twice today when people were camped out there - it's favoured feeding area. Once it has landed and started feeding it's not so bothered and can be approached quite closely. It's not bothered by dog walkers etc who are on the move. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2017 01:59PM by pete marsh.
November 30, 2017 03:51PM
Wonder if this is the same (also unringed) bird that toured the Fylde and south Ribble area earlier in the year, and if so where has it been hiding over the summer
November 30, 2017 05:47PM
A 30 minute mini twitch en-route elsewhere proved fruitful around 2pm with good views of the bird on the ground and also seen in the air calling in the company of 2 Ravens and Common Buzzard.

Cheers
Steve
November 30, 2017 08:00PM
Common buzzard is rare at heysham head :-)
November 30, 2017 08:05PM
The idea that this might be the same bird as the Fylde individual from late March this year has crossed a few minds and I've had a good look at my photos of both birds and it's very hard to draw any conclusions. The Heysham bird does have some noticeable pale marks over the left eye but unfortunately I only have right profile of the Fylde bird.

A stray from IOM or Anglesey is most likely I guess.

I was the only observer this afternoon by 3.05 when 2 crows persistently mobbed it, chasing it towards Heysham village over the sea when I lost sight of it in the late, low sun.
December 01, 2017 10:15AM
Has it returned or has it been chased off?
December 01, 2017 11:10AM
Still present this morning - very close to boundary fence and walls but has flown off to rooftops a couple of times.
December 01, 2017 04:24PM
Still around this afternoon. It was commuting from one side of Heysham Head to the other but returning to its favourite feeding area off Knowlys Road.
December 02, 2017 10:32AM
Chough 1 on path at 09.55 to 10.05
Very friendly then flew of to house roof.

Jeff
December 02, 2017 01:47PM
Still about between 12.30 - 13.00 but more flighty and harassed by crows. It spent time in the churchyard and well across the fields by the houses along the edge. Last seen however on the roof of the house opposite to where the path joins Knowlys Road.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter