Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Med Gull Bare

Posted by howard 
Med Gull Bare
November 08, 2017 05:32PM
Med Gull 1 adult on a roof I only got 1/2 the ring.
AT over S over O
It took awhile but I got a pic on,
Hope it might be helpfull.

Jeff

Re: Med Gull Bare
November 08, 2017 06:11PM
Hi Jeff
You'll need some bread and a scope to get the rest of the number. Not a GB ring but not sure without research where it's from ie the last letters on the top line

If you are trying to read ring numbers - just a bit of bread at a time so they land in anticipation and don't scoff and fly off
November 08, 2017 08:11PM
Hi Pete the bird was only about 20 feet away and whatever I did it would not turn then disappered to the back house out of sight. I just thought it might be help full to some one.

Jeff
November 08, 2017 11:18PM
I can probably work out where it is from but no more as five possibly six numbers are not visible. If it is so tame worth trying to bread in
November 09, 2017 12:05AM
I've put it on a ringing forum Jeff as the country of origin ie the museum address or whatever should be individually recognisable unless you are very unlucky. Will let you know the outcome
November 09, 2017 09:10AM
Thanks Pete will keep looking

Jeff
November 09, 2017 09:12AM
Hi again Jeff
By comment consent this is a Belgian-ringed bird (Mus Nat. (note the full stop on the ring) and Bruxelles). Looking at the age of the ring there is possibility that this is an ancient Belgian ringed bird which used to have a darvic - therefore easily identifiable which was "forgotten about" in that area when the darvic ring fell off

If that is the case, and I think the number did end in a '0', it would be really good if someone could bread the prom in that area to get some more letters and numbers from the bottom line on the ring - it might be getting on for a longevity record! My eyesight is not up to this. So please could you give us the location of the nearest bit of prom to your sighting. Thanks
November 09, 2017 10:29AM
I've checked and it could quite easily be an ancient Belgian-ringed bird (ex darvic 36W) which lost its darvic in 2008 and was metal-read in 2009 but not since! Further incentive for trying to get some more numbers.

The number will be letter 'E' first i.e. Exxxxx0, so five more numbers to try and read - the gap before the 0 without any visible partial characters does suggest the penultimate number is also correct, but obviously by no means certain
November 09, 2017 11:08AM
Hi Pete
The nearest spot is Broadway it was only
a few hundred yard from the bungalow.
I,ll get some bread. Though if its from belgium
it might like a croissant.

Jeff
November 09, 2017 03:20PM
Mothers pride is good enough for seagulls. That's the area where mark used to see it pre 2009
November 09, 2017 05:07PM
Found a second med gull but no ring.

Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter