Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Notable...I know it is not birds sorry

Posted by eddybayton 
Notable...I know it is not birds sorry
October 11, 2017 08:36PM
This came through to me today. I haven't seen any other reference to it. Assuming it isn't a spoof and I am not gullible this is surely worth noting locally....

[twitter.com]

Red squirrel(s) logged in Cockerham ??? Have they rafted across the Ribble from Ainsdale? Sorry...
Re: Notable...I know it is not birds sorry
October 12, 2017 06:21AM
Hi Eddy

According to the latest edition of the Halton 'Prattle' there has been a recent confirmed sighting in Halton, amazing!

They are just upstream of Kirby Lonsdale and I know a lot of work on habitat/grey removal is being carried out by the Lune River Trust but even so still fantastic out of area records.

Cheers
Steve
October 12, 2017 02:38PM
I've seen the pics of the Halton red squirrel, no mistaking its identity! And there was a very reliable sighting of one at Lancaster Golf Club fairly recently... It would be very nice to have sustainable populations in this area.
October 12, 2017 04:37PM
Huge numbers of grey squirrels need to be hammered without any pussyfooting around by reluctant conservation organisations not wanting to court controversy. The estate where two red squirrel
were first seen in north lancs two years ago (seen the pics) carry out intensive control. If you don't like the sound of that I'm afraid it is the price you have to pay here in "border country" if you want to see any reds returning on a permanent basis
October 12, 2017 07:55PM
No issues with that Pete as long as control is humane. There was a pub near Newbiggin a few years back paying 50p a grey brush and they had them all pinned up by the dartboard. For me the remarkable thing after so many years is the fact we could at least become a boundary area where the possibility exists that reds could at least gain a foothold again. It would be nice to see polecat make something of a greater appearance and mink eradicated too. Should we be squeamish about the accelerating decline of little owl??

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 08:04PM by eddybayton.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter