Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Red Legged Partridge

Posted by eddybayton 
Red Legged Partridge
June 04, 2017 04:23PM
I don't know if this is worth registering or not as it's an introduced species, but I came within an ace of mowing down a female and 14 chicks this morning. They appeared to be sunning themselves in the middle of the road in Littledale above the scout camp. I had to stop and shoo them into the verge. The chicks were tiny, they can't have been more than a day or two old.

It is known that there have been releases in the area but how many I wonder survive the season and the winter and breed successfully?
Re: Red Legged Partridge
June 04, 2017 06:29PM
Eddie, I cannot speak for Lancaster area, but In North Fylde the release of Red-legged Partridge number in the many, many thousands. Each year Hi-Fly Game Hatcheries alone introduce several thousand in the Pilling/ Rawcliffe/Cockerham area in preparation for the shooting season. This number does not include the many released by small local shooting syndicates on other farms throughout the area. A good number do survive the shoots to become free to breed in the wild. In previous years I have found nests around here.

This practice is also widespread in the hills above Garstang on the edge of the Bowland hills and probably in the farmland around Lancaster.

There seems to be no control or proper accounting over the number released, their impact on the environment as a whole, or their impact on the native population of Grey Partridge or other farmland birds. The release of pheasants for shooting is on a similar industrial scale but as usual big money is involved.
Re: Red Legged Partridge
June 04, 2017 08:19PM
I have seen quite a number of adult birds around Arnside (including our garden). I have yet to see any young birds and have no knowledge of any nesting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter