Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Meathop area

Posted by garry sharples1 
Meathop area
April 17, 2017 08:09PM
Trundle / bike around coastal way Today - back of Foulshaw / Meathop. Relatively quiet migrant wise

2 Tree Pipit - Meathop
2 Male Stonechat - Meathop
Osprey - one carrying fish and circling over Meathop (presumably one of the Foulshaw birds)
Little Grebe - Meathop
4 Redpoll displaying - Meathop
1 Siskin - feeding on Bulrush
1 Wheatear - coastal path
6 Reed Bunting - along coastal path
10 Linnets - coastal path
7 Skylarks - saltmarsh between Meathop and High Foulshaw
2 Pintail - Ulpha Meadows
1 Little Grebe - Ulpha Meadows
8 Buzzards
6 Tree Sparrow - Crag Wood
1 Blackcap
double figures willow warb / chiff
30 + Sand Martins heading North over meathop / coastal way

Seem to be more curlews / lapwings on territory in the Lyth Valley this Spring than previous years...must get some time to count them !
Re: Meathop area
April 19, 2017 05:50PM
Just heard about Heysham fire, unbelievable.
April 19, 2017 11:50PM
A certain element of the population, all Brexit-types, are asserting themselves and some 'scientists' telling them prime development land should be saved for the butterflies is, as they are told by the Sun/Mail/Gove etc, something they should resist along with all the red tape that goes along with it. I was told by a brexit meathead the other day that 'now were out of this EU, we don't have to pick our dog shit up any more'. He wasn't joking. So the kids are sent out to trash = also Happy Mount Park where they were actually observed being dropped off
April 20, 2017 09:04AM
Hi Mike
Yes - sad when I saw it on the news although to be honest, not totally unexpected. I'd campaigned for this place to be protected from development when I was a boy in the 80's as I could see housing encroachment all around the place and the road being developed to the south. It was a great feeling when some of our suggestions to create 'buffer strips' between the moss and development and keep the '2nd bridge' closed to access were adopted though. Even better when it was bought by Lancs WT. The only concern some of us had was that with better and improved access you would always bring folk on that weren't as enthusiastic about wildlife - but that's the balance I guess. You almost need 'granny traps' as we used to call them (although nothing to do with keeping grannies out !)...basically sections of mud / rough ground before boardwalks but that then defeats the 'access for all' objective and getting the non interested folk interested in and connected to nature... which we're all keen to improve. How do you incentivize kids (making assumptions here !!) to look after a place like this ?

In a similar way, I wonder if wetter areas of sphagnum blocked 'ditches' can be formed on the moss itself to create a natural fire break and protect at least pockets of invertebrate life for when and if fires do break out ?

All that said, I remember some fires on here way back in the 80's and 90's and possibly why certain populations failed to establish originally.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter