Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

WAXWING sightings or info on concentrations of berry laden ROWAN

Posted by pete marsh 
Re: WAXWING sightings or info on concentrations of berry laden ROWAN
January 01, 2017 04:50PM
Hi Pete. Yes, the colour combination is the one used by the Aberdeen study.
January 01, 2017 05:49PM
I've sent the details in. Age of the bird might narrow down a bit?
January 01, 2017 06:07PM
Thanks, Pete. But don't worry - I already sent the details to Raymond this afternoon.
January 01, 2017 06:58PM
No problem - I'll send him a note asking just to copy me in on your response rather than anything separate. Its just that Richard usually picks up the c.r. wader/wildfowl reports and me most of the rest but many people send their own stuff in

Obviously this wont happen here but sometimes, when people send their own records in we don't hear about them for bird reports as the BTO also don't get to know. Things are improving - lets hope Brexit doesn't send us back to the stone age as regards info exchange on ringing schemes as is deemed likely with many other aspects of international (especially European) scientific cooperation
January 02, 2017 09:27AM
Waxwing colour ringed bird narrowed down to an individual - the correct leg was seen to do this! There is at least another one in Lancashire though so please don't assume a colour ringed bird you might see is the one already sorted. Thanks
January 03, 2017 03:37PM
Tis afternoon in milnthorpe at 15.07
Flock of c20 on a6 south of Spar garage, east side of road.

Peter last
January 04, 2017 05:14PM
I neither saw any waxwings today at Sainsbury's nor at the White Cross at 3.30pm.
January 07, 2017 11:17AM
No reports for 3 days. Does that mean they have gone or that no one is looking?

If the fog eases later I may go for a cruise round Lancaster to check out the regular haunts.

Jeff
January 07, 2017 07:31PM
Around 10 near Lilians hide at Leighton Moss today, didn't linger. No sign mid afternoon whilst I was looking
January 07, 2017 08:55PM
One 'recently' in Burton in Lonsdale
January 10, 2017 05:20PM
Before my battery went I think there was a posting today of ?18 waxwing from Lancaster ?rail station. Anyone confirm/refute please?
January 10, 2017 06:03PM
Hi Pete, the sighting report came through on Birdguides at 1147, confirmed as 18 waxwing outside railway station entrance.

Andrew
January 10, 2017 08:16PM
I believe it was David Morris who saw them.
January 11, 2017 12:52AM
Report of 4 feeding on garden Rowan berries, Yealand Redmayne on Sunday 8th Jan.
January 11, 2017 04:45PM
How are we doing for berries please? Any decent stands of berry bearing rowan left?
January 13, 2017 08:03AM
Plenty of white rowan behind Dalton Sq but the site is guarded by a mistle thrush.
January 13, 2017 05:33PM
About 10 Waxwings seen at Milnthorpe mid morning today,just south of Spar shop/filling station.I went to look at 13.30hrs. but no sight then.
January 13, 2017 07:16PM
12plus by hornby butchers this afternoon
January 14, 2017 04:03PM
Just my luck. first day away from Hornby birding out Pilling way
Been working in grounds today and checked what berries are left but nothing. Also checked main street twice and again zero.
January 14, 2017 05:49PM
Same here on way back from Askam in Furness at 1500, Ken- zero. Loads of cars though by butchers as though something had been found :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2017 05:51PM by pete marsh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter